History & Overview
Lubec Community Outreach Center (LCOC)
In the easternmost town of Lubec, Maine - serving area families and communities
Lubec Community Outreach Center is committed to removing barriers to improve the lives of people in our community.
Through our programs we promote awareness, knowledge, pride, and stewardship of our community strengths – our people and our natural resources.
Our process is one of listening to and engaging with our community in thoughtful planning, consultation, participation, and partnership.
LCOC History & Overview
Lubec Community Outreach Center is a non-profit founded in 2012 with the mission to remove barriers to improve the lives of people in our community. LCOC strives to enhance the quality of life – enriching the place we live, learn, work, and play – through services supportive and available to all children, youth, adults, and seniors.
LCOC began its work in 2012 with our two core youth programs: the summer recreation program and the after school program. Both programs have positively affected over 90% of the youth in our community and dozens of children in neighboring communities.
LCOC also provides an annual holiday celebration and dinner for seniors and veterans which serves over 125 people each year. We are looking forward to expanding services and activities to seniors in the future.
- In support of an essential ongoing need of young families, LCOC is always exploring opportunities to support and educate families in our community.
- LCOC is currently offering after school and summer recreation programming for local children.
- LCOC collaborations with Washington County Adult & Community Education and Washington County Literacy Volunteers to help older community members complete education goals.
- Our monthly Meal of the Month for Folks over 50 and Veterans are promoting social connections.
Technology & Enterprise
LCOC is also gathering information relating to the support of both new enterprise and existing business related activity, including establishment of a community Tech Support Center. LCOC's upcoming meetings with various community interest groups will include exploration of how such a tech center might serve both Lubec business and residential communities.
We welcome all thoughts & ideas relating to this center. Please contact us by email: ContactUs@lubecoutreach.org
As part of its mission to serve the community, LCOC will continue to increase community access to healthy foods.
Community Choice Food Pantry is open every 3rd Wednesday of the month from 1:00-3:00 PM and the following Saturday from 8:30-10:00 AM
You can find an application for the pantry on our Food Pantry Page.
LCOC is currently involved with the following food programs:
• The Lubec Community Food Pantry was opened in January of 2016, which distributes food every 3rd Wednesday of the month from 1:00-3:00 PM and the following Saturday from 8:30-10:00 AM We currently serve approximately 26% of our community members. You can find an application for the pantry on our Food Pantry page.
• As part of the Summer Recreation Program, LCOC has partnered with the USDA Summer Meals Food Service Program to serve over 3000 hot meals during the summer session.
• As part of the After School Program, LCOC is an at-risk center for Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) in partnership with the Department of Education and a Kid's Cafe site in partnership with Good Shepherd Food Bank to increase access to healthy food.
We are actively partnering with county-wide food systems. We will continue to meet with community members to gather more ideas & input for programs that will enhance healthy food access.